[RndTbl] Shaw now blocking SMTP port 25

Gilles Detillieux grdetil at scrc.umanitoba.ca
Fri May 25 12:50:51 CDT 2007

On 05/25/2007 11:13 AM, Trevor Cordes wrote:
> I just had my first complaint from a notebook customer -- I see now what
> John was referring to.
>
> I'm looking for an easy solution for my notebook-roaming customers to
> have access to SMTP (or encrypted variant).  Can anyone suggest some
> tips or suggestions on setting up one of the following:
>
> 1. Having sendmail listen on 2 ports, 25 and (say) 26.  Can I just add
>    the 2nd (26) line to the .mc and sendmail will listen on both as
>    opposed to just 25?  Or is it a 25 OR 26 but not both type thing?
>
> 2. Set up SSL or TLS or whatever it's called this week in sendmail and
>    have sendmail listen on both 25 and whatever other port.  How easy is
>    it to setup this stuff in sendmail on 20 mail servers?  How easy is
>    it to setup Outlook/OE to talk to sendmail in this way?

I don't have any experience setting up an SMTP server to support TLS or
SSL, but the client-side setup is quite easy.  For roaming access with a
laptop computer, authenticated SMTP on an alternate port is definitely
the preferred solution, if you have access to an SMTP server that
supports it.  (Fortunately for me, the U of M's main mail server does,
so I didn't need to set it up myself.)

The client setup is described here for about 6 different common mail
clients:

http://www.umanitoba.ca/computing/ist/applications/activekb/questions/133

--
Gilles R. Detillieux              E-mail: <grdetil at scrc.umanitoba.ca>