[RndTbl] Point to point wireless

Mike Pfaiffer high.res.mike at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 21:51:37 CDT 2007

Kevin McGregor wrote:
> We're a number of houses apart, though on the same block. Do standard wireless routers have the range, or should I make/buy an external directional antenna? I've heard that if you crank up the power of a typical (say, Linksys) router's wireless output beyond the default, it can burn out pretty quick. Can anyone confirm or dispel that rumour?

	I haven't been following the discussion in great detail. I was thinking
possibly directional antennas (a la "Pringles can") might do the job...
Would converting a non-directional signal into a directional one help
out with power? Assuming nothing gets in the way, diffusion isn't bad,
and there is enough power then you can do pretty much what you want.
Without going into detail about the other messages, I presume they were
talking about software.

				Later
				Mike