[RndTbl] Page Layout

Sean Walberg sean at ertw.com
Tue Jan 30 20:19:13 CST 2007

On 1/30/07, Dan Martin <ummar143 at cc.umanitoba.ca> wrote:

> The display could be done with XHTML.  The printed forms could be done
> using LaTeX commands, but I imagine it would be painful to program.  I
> could learn postscript.  I assume Acrobat's pdf is proprietary and
> cannot be used.  I have heard of an XML based page layout language, and
> such a solution would lend itself to an XSLT transformation.

PDF is a published  specification, there are several good perl and php
libraries for working with it (I recall reading that Adobe is seeking
standards approval for it, too).  I'd recommend against PostScript, while it
is fun (especially if you had an HP-48 calculator at some point) it's a pain
if you want to get away from text and line art, not to mention worrying
about what each individual printer (or driver) is going to do to your
output.

Two other ideas would be GD and ImageMagick.  Both generate an image and
offer libraries for php and perl.

Sean

--
Sean Walberg <sean at ertw.com>    http://ertw.com/