[RndTbl] Video Overlay cropped

John Lange john.lange at open-it.ca
Wed Oct 11 09:53:16 CDT 2006

Turns out it is a bug with the ATI drivers using Xvideo. Don't know if
its in the ATI driver or in Xvideo (I'm not even sure those are two
separate things?). It took me many many hours of googling to find this.

A "sort-of" work around was to use a different playback such as:

# mplayer -ov gl2 <filename>

This works great! Unfortunately that does not solve the mythtv problem
because myth appears to use its own internal playback mechanism which
only works with Xv. As far as I can tell there is no possible way to
adjust this...

BTW, to answer your question, downloaded video had the same problem so
its a playback problem, not a capture problem.

So to continue the saga, there are some ati options in xorg.conf that
made a difference. One is to set the fglrx driver (fglrx is the
proprietary ati driver) to use opengl instead of Xv. Unfortunately that
is very CPU intensive. There is also a setting for a texture mode (can't
remember the exact name) which worked but caused the hue to be way off
(everything was blue/green).

So I removed the proprietary ATI drivers and went back to the xorg "ati"
or "radeon" driver. Now, no matter what I do I can not get a stable
display on the TV using the SVideo output of the card.

No matter what combination of Horzontal and Vertical sync and display
mode always results in a "non-sync" TV display.

Anyone have any suggestions for xorg.conf lines to get a TV monitor
working?

I'm thinking at this point the easiest thing to do would be to install a
cheap Nvida card.

John