[RndTbl] RE: Roundtable Digest, Vol 23, Issue 14

Kevin D Scott kevinds at cashette.com
Tue Nov 21 00:35:55 CST 2006

My upload speed being restricted so much is what annoys me the most from
internet providers.

Fiber lines are symmetric, so why aren't our internet connections?  What is
Shaw/MTS doing with all of the un-allotted upload speeds?  MTS I kind of
understand, their DSL modems, max out at 8Mbps down, 800Kbps up, Shaw's max
out at 38Mbps down, 30Mbps up.  And yes, I know the newest modems MTS is
giving out are ADSL2, so they're faster...

Their new "Nitro" plan, 25Mbps down, but the same speed upload as the
Extreme.  Anybody thinking of it, should consider 2 Extreme account instead,
a little cheaper, combined you would get 2Mbps and 4 IP addresses, and
pretty close to the same download speed...  A dual-wan router would divide
your traffic evenly, and a download manager would enable full speed...   for
anybody considering it...

Does anybody know what the Internet providers are 'saving' this leftover
bandwidth for?

Thanks for your time,

Kevin