[RndTbl] blocklists (was: Grey-listing in effect on MUUG server)

Sean Walberg sean at ertw.com
Sat Nov 18 16:31:28 CST 2006

On 11/18/06, Trevor Cordes <trevor at tecnopolis.ca> wrote:

> Two problems: 1) control; 2) cost.  No matter how inexpensive, you're
> still looking at adding $15-$25/month.  When unfettered access to all
> ports (within bandwidth usage limits) should be free, why spend $250
> more per year?  And if you migrate off your email/web/etc services to a

That level of control isn't worth $250/yr?  If not, you should question your
need for those extra features.

It's the loss of freedom that irks me so much.  10 years ago the 'Net
> was touted as the "great equalizer", where every box on it was equal.

Rule #1 of the networks -- "My network, my rules".

I count myself in the crowd that does it all myself.  Half is because I like
it, half is because I derive income from it so it's worth it to me.  But the
ability to do it myself off my $40/month cable modem is a privilege, not a
right.  If I couldn't, I'd go back to renting a VPS for $30/mo, because it
doesn't have to be done on my box.

Sean

--
Sean Walberg <sean at ertw.com>    http://ertw.com/