[RndTbl] Ubuntu newbie question

Mike Pfaiffer high.res.mike at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 20:55:43 CST 2006

    OK. I shot myself in the foot with this one... I'll admit it up front.

    I did the upgrade from Dapper to Edgy. It went better than most.
Suffice it to say I got the GUI back as well as a number of other things
which messed up. While tracking down one problem (something wasn't
finding files for  verification I burned onto a DVD - source or copy I
don't know) I figured the problem might have been a library
(libdvdread1). I thought I'd uninstall and reinstall. The problem is it
took out mplayer. Again I figured an uninstall and reinstall may do the
trick. Well now I can't reinstall it or vlc because both depend on this
library and the library is unavailable.

    Figured I'd try compiling it myself but Ubuntu complains about no
acceptable C compiler in the path.

             Later
             Mike