[RndTbl] Followup on slow file transfer on my LAN

John Lange john.lange at open-it.ca
Mon Jan 30 11:48:09 CST 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-30 at 11:05 -0600, Mike Pfaiffer wrote:

>  Obviously I'd rather replace the card than the router. Itech is in the
> neighbourhood (and I've known the guys for years) so I'd be picking something
> up from them. Any particular brand to look for? Will any of the newer cards
> do?

As Gilles also mentioned, I've found Realtek to be well supported
(specifically the Realtek RTL-8139 but even the newer Gigabit cards work
well).

Also good are the intel series that use the eepro and eepro100 drivers.

And 3Com cards that use the 3c59x driver which is almost all newer 3Com
cards.

Your challenge is figuring out what chipset the "no-name" cards use. You
just have to crack open the box and read the chips.

John