[RndTbl] Followup on slow file transfer on my LAN

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Mon Jan 30 08:56:41 CST 2006

I may have the same or a related problem.  I have 2 linux boxes and one
XP box on a gigabit lan.  I get around 20-30MB/s (no jumbo packets) on
most traffic.  However, uploading from the XP to the file server just
crawls at around 3-5MB/s.  I thought it was the XP NIC (DLink 530) but I
just upgraded (90% new guts) my XP box and the onboard Intel 1000 is
exactly as slow as the DLink.  I'm running FC3 on both linux boxes.

Here's the weirdness I see:

>From  linux1	linux2	xp
lx1   -		fast	fast
lx2   fast	-	fast
xp    fast	SLOW!	-

I'm testing with NFS between linuxes and CIFS/Samba between linux/XP.
I've run a test on the slow link with FTP and got the same result.

What I don't understand is how the results can be asynchronous.

I see no errors in ifconfig in linux.  I tried a different (CAT6) cable.
I tried a different switch port.