[RndTbl] Followup on slow file transfer on my LAN

Mike Pfaiffer mpfaiffer at callapple.org
Sun Jan 29 23:44:15 CST 2006

On January 29, 2006 10:58 pm, Bill Reid wrote this amazing epistle:
> Mike Pfaiffer wrote:
> >  So far with this experiment I've eliminated some possible problems. The
> > cables should be fine. The port on the router is fine. The NIC is fine.
> > Since it works with M$, the router is fine (although I have to check if
> > it is limiting based on the DHCP address of the Linux box - I set up a
> > static IP for the M$ side and won't let it have net access).
>
> On Linux do an ifconfig and see if it reports errors or collisions.
>
> -- Bill

 Leaving out the first couple of lines which just give the IP addresses, here
is what I get for eth0.

          RX packets:2382801 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:392797
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:3298556584 (3145.7 Mb)  TX bytes:144681015 (137.9 Mb)
          Interrupt:10 Base address:0xec00

 I don't know if I should be running multicast. The MTU looks OK for dialup. I
don't know if it's OK for a LAN. No idea what the metric is. Everything else
looks as though it should be OK (although I may need to power down the router
soon).

    Later
    Mike

|Call-A.P.P.L.E. and the Digital Civilization http://www.callapple.org |