[RndTbl] Part 2 of slow file transfer on a LAN

Mike Pfaiffer mpfaiffer at callapple.org
Wed Feb 1 00:29:32 CST 2006

On January 30, 2006 08:47 pm, Bill Reid wrote this amazing epistle:
> Mike Pfaiffer wrote:
> >  Following Bills suggestion to compare the results of ifconfig with
> > ipconfig and winipfcg under M$ I found more information available under
> > Linux. I
>
> Mike, I am sorry, I gave you the wrong command. The Window's command in a
> DOS prompt Window is
>
> netstat -e

 It worked. I was going to post a copy of the results. M$ ran out of memory
(on a 768MB machine, I'd like to know how) and wouldn't open a DOS Window.
After a reset, the stats were reset as well. An hour into the process, before
it ran out of RAM, it showed no errors.

> It gives the Ethernet stats: errors, discards, etc.
>
> > looked at the info for the network card in the M$ drivers. It was set up
> > for half duplex under M$ (I changed it to full). I don't know if the
> > software would affect hardware settings at this point. If I change it
> > under M$ would it change under Linux?
>
> No.

 I tried the card in full duplex. For a single file it said it would take a
day and a half (pretty much like the speeds I am getting under Linux).
Netstat didn't show any errors. There were a total of 39 discarded packets. I
switched it back to half duplex and it was much happier. I started four
download threads. When I started the first it said the estimated time for
transfer was six minutes. After the fourth was started it increased the time
to an hour. Now I know to do one file at a time under M$. There are more
files to transfer tomorrow. I'll make sure I keep a DOS window open.

 Right now I'm backing up my fathers M$ box to the Mac. For an old piece of
hardware it is quite robust. Apparently OS X 10.3.X and newer resolve most of
the problems of crashing. Lots of little annoying things but nothing major.

> -- Bill

    Later
    Mike

P.S. For a laugh, check out the current issue of the magazine (link is below -
it's free again). One article describes the result of a grandmother
connecting to DSL. Even if you don't want to read the article, check out the
title and the first couple of paragraphs. ;-)

|Call-A.P.P.L.E. and the Digital Civilization http://www.callapple.org |
|   http://members.shaw.ca/pfaiffer = Mike Pfaiffer (B.A., B.Sc.)      |