[RndTbl] Problems with Shaw?

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Tue Aug 29 11:39:17 CDT 2006

On 25 Aug, John Lange wrote:

> My question for the group is, is anyone else experiencing this problems?
> I'm trying to determine how wide spread this is before attempting to
> escalate the issue.

I just wanted to add a "me too".  Strangely enough, I started playing
some UT2004 again (after a 6 month absence) on the weekend and
immediately noticed horrendous lag/jitter.  It was really bad on the
weekend but was a fair bit better yesterday and today.

It wasn't just a jitter issue -- Shaw was dropping packets all over the
place too, based on my ping tests.

I use cricket for traffic monitoring and it's pretty clear packet loss
and latency went to hell in the past week.  The graphs represent traffic
between 2 Shaw Extreme modems, one in Chazwood, one on Regent.

http://tecnopolis.ca/transient/latency.gif
http://tecnopolis.ca/transient/loss.gif

Let us know how it goes with Shaw... the "Extreme" service is supposed
to be FOR gamers and is advertised as having low latency, etc.