[RndTbl] Problems with Shaw?

Bill Reid billreid at shaw.ca
Fri Aug 25 16:23:11 CDT 2006

John is correct that Video and VoIP are very different. Video requires a lot of
bandwidth, since it is only one way can be buffered without any latency issues,
generally TCP. On the other hand VoIP is low bandwidth, two way so buffering
adds latency which is problematic and usually UDP.

I did some pinging this afternoon and there is some erratic ping times but I am
impressed with the low times that I am seeing. pings to epic.ca average at 21
ms.  The larger ping times are still under 300ms.  As you say when you complain
to Shaw it may be difficult for them to see a problem.

Of course pinging every sec does not simulate a RTP stream.

-- Bill