[RndTbl] TTY1 and Starting X Windows

Montana Quiring montanaq at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 11:25:47 CDT 2006

Good information. Thanks.

If I put this line in /etc/inittab:
x:2:respawn:/usr/X11R6/bin/startx > tty1
or
x:2:respawn:/usr/X11R6/bin/startx

I get this error after it boots up:
/usr/X11R6/bin/startx: line xxx: xinit: command not found
/usr/X11R6/bin/startx: line xxx: xauth: command not found
(xxx being a number in the 100's)

This led me to look at the startx script and I figured out that xauth and
xinit were scripts in /usr/X11R6/bin/ that were not in the path when
inittab  was being run.

So I edited startx and made the first line:
export PATH=$PATH:/usr/X11R6/bin/

Now X starts but it starts as root. *Insert frown here*
I guess this makes sense because inittab is run as root, right?

So I edited the /etc/inittab again and changed the line to:
x:2:respawn:/usr/bin/sudo -H -u me /usr/X11R6/bin/startx

and I added this to sudoers:
me    ALL=NOPASSWD: /usr/X11R6/bin/startx

but I get this error on bootup:
X: user not authorized to run the X server, aborting.
xinit: Server error.

Gee wizz this has been a pain.

-Montana

"When I give, I give myself.”