[RndTbl] Followup on installing an HFS file system on a USB drive on a PC

Mike Pfaiffer mpfaiffer at callapple.org
Sun Sep 25 15:15:50 CDT 2005

On September 25, 2005 02:15 pm, Adam Thompson wrote this amazing epistle:
> Mike Pfaiffer wrote:
> > I looked at the site Gilles suggested earlier. I was in a bit of a rush
> > (as I am from time to time). They want people to sign up as developers
> > before downloading source code. That's not for me. As a result I found an
> > alternative which was last updated around 2003. It's at
> >http://www.mars.org/home/rob/proj/hfs/ and the package is called hfstools.
> > It compiles and installs really fast. Unfortunately, although I gave it a
> > 100GB partition, it only formatted two GB of it. Apart from that... No
> > complaints. I'll keep hunting for a while. Eventually I might get a Mac
> > (owned by one of my friends) to format the partition for me.
> >
> >    Later
> >    Mike
> >
> >P.S. The Linux and M$ partitions work fine...
>
> I believe you will find that standard HFS only supports up to 2Gb.

 I didn't know this for certain. It was one of the possibilities. It certainly
explains what I saw.

> HFS+
> supports larger partitions, and I don't think hfstools will format an
> HFS+ partition.

 Quite right about hfs tools not doing HFS+.

> -Adam

 Thanks for the info. The search goes on. The deadline for the articles is
Wednesday so the search is going to be slow until then.

    Later
    Mike

|Call-A.P.P.L.E. and the Digital Civilization http://www.callapple.org |
|   http://members.shaw.ca/pfaiffer = Mike Pfaiffer (B.A., B.Sc.)      |