[RndTbl] drive partitioning for Linux install

Dan Martin ummar143 at cc.umanitoba.ca
Fri Sep 23 19:55:07 CDT 2005

I will soon make a fresh install of Fedora Core 4, and I have a very
limited knowledge of Linux.  I would like to maximize interoperability
with other systems, and make backup as easy as possible.

I want to install it on my gateway machine, a Pentium3 with 2 removable
IDE drive bays.  Ideally, I want:

1)  EASY BACKUP - on another machine I run Windows 2000 to take full
advantage of my ATI All-in-Wonder 9600 pro.  That machine also has 2
removable IDE drive bays, so I can copy entire partitions from one drive
to the other.  I cannot use Windows to copy the OS and apps while
Windows is running, because some of the files are locked.  I boot to DOS
from a floppy, and use a DOS program (DriveStar) to copy from one hard
drive to the other.  Then I use the backup to work from.  This works,
but Windows remembers individual drive serial numbers so it assigns
different drive letters and I have to change some of my links.  Linux
does not have this problem - hdb6 is always the second logical partition
on the second drive, even if I change the second drive.  Can Linux copy
itself while it is running?  I may even use software RAID mirroring -
though that would prevent me from switching to different drives with
different data in the second drive slot (or can it be turned on and off
easily?)

2)  SHARING DATA - users should be able to access the same /home
directory whether running on the new system or on another machine on the
network which is running Suse 9.0.  I'm guessing that /home would not
even have to be on a separate partition, though it is probably wise to
do that.  It would be nice if I could also share data with the Windows
machine.  I'm not sure if, for example, the Mozilla prefs/user files are
the same for Windows as Linux, so that I could access my email from
Windows or from Linux and not have the mail end up in different places.

3)  SHARING APPS - I currently have Mandrake 8.1 installed on the
machine that I am targeting for Fedora.  It would be great if I could
run some of the apps already installed with Mandrake, while I am running
Fedora.  It would also be nice if I could run some of the apps from the
other machine running Suse.  I'm guessing that this is not easy - that
sharing /usr and /opt would lead to dependency issues and incompatible
libraries.

4)  MIGRATING TO OTHER HARDWARE - Another bonus would be if I could take
my hard drive with Fedora installed, and pop it into my Pentium 4
(usually running Windows) to run an app that needs more juice.  I could
use LILO to present a menu containing "Fedora - machine A" and "Fedora -
machine B" - but are there machine specific files in various parts of
the filesystem?  If Host 1 usually runs on Machine A, and Host 2 usually
runs on Machine B, can I switch them without causing chaos?

If anyone has suggestions (preferably from experience) on how to
accomplish any of these things, that would be great.  If some of these
things (especially 3 & 4) are not possible, please let me know.

--
  -Dan

Dr. Dan Martin, MD, CCFP, BSc, BCSc (Hon)

GP Hospital Practitioner
Computer Science grad student
ummar143 at cc.umanitoba.ca
(204) 831-1746