[RndTbl] VOIP

Bill Reid billreid at shaw.ca
Mon Oct 24 22:07:15 CDT 2005

Dan Martin wrote:
> I want my computer to act as a super answering machine, storing messages
> as sound files indexed by the number of the caller.  I tried some
> Windows software a while back and bought an external modem to work with
> it, but it didn't work terribly well.

The Open Source software that will do the job is Asterisk. It is more than an
answering machine but a PBX so it may be overkill for what you want.

http://www.asterisk.org/

There is a distro called Asterisk at Home which can get you going pretty quickly.

http://asteriskathome.sourceforge.net/

There a Muug SIG for Asterisk. It's mail list: