[RndTbl] VOIP

Dan Martin ummar143 at cc.umanitoba.ca
Mon Oct 24 20:53:40 CDT 2005

I want my computer to act as a super answering machine, storing messages
as sound files indexed by the number of the caller.  I tried some
Windows software a while back and bought an external modem to work with
it, but it didn't work terribly well.

I'm trying Vonage VOIP mainly to get such features (the amount I will
save on long distance calls is marginal).  The problem is, the temporary
number they have assigned me does not allow such features, only outgoing
calls.  I have to surrender my MTS number to even try it out.

If I give up my MTS number, which I hadn't intended to do before a good
trial, I will have only one phone in the house and it will die every
time Shaw Cable goes out.

Does anyone out there have experiences to share about VOIP service
providers?  Is there software +/- hardware that will allow me to use my
computer as an answering machine (with call display info) on regular
phone lines?

--
  -Dan

Dr. Dan Martin, MD, CCFP, BSc, BCSc (Hon)

GP Hospital Practitioner
Computer Science grad student
ummar143 at cc.umanitoba.ca
(204) 831-1746