[RndTbl] Adding second NIC - RH 7.1

Mike Pfaiffer mpfaiffer at callapple.org
Mon Oct 10 03:45:36 CDT 2005

On October 10, 2005 12:46 am, Raymond J. Henry wrote this amazing epistle:
> >From time to time, I have to UL a lot of stuff to my server (tonight,
>
> 12GB). Because of this, I'm wondering about dropping 1000MB NIC's into
> my XP system and the server, and running a separate dedicated connection
> between them. I don't want to spend the money to replace my switch,
> that's why I'm thinking separate network.
>
> I'm running RH 7.1 w/kernel 2.4.20-24.7. If I go ahead with this, I'm
> thinking the D-Link DGE-530T
> (http://www.dlink.com/products/resource.asp?pid=284&rid=879&sec=0)
> because of the price, and D-Link's indication it should work with my
> kernel.
>
> Anyone run one of these cards in a system similar to mine? Of course,
> I'd like this to be a painless as possible, so the other issue would be
> trying to have the existing NIC remain as eth0, so I don't have to mess
> with anything there.
>
> Any suggestions/ideas/flames?

 Man I've been posting here a lot lately.

 I'm not really an expert on this or anything, but I briefly ran a couple of
NICs in the same box way back when I was running RH 7.3. It turns out I was
trying to run it as a router but I didn't know what one was at the time. As I
recall, with an existing system you should be able to run linuxconf and set
it up. You want to make sure there is no IRQ or DMA conflicts first. If you
do a reinstallation the order may or may not change depending on the IRQ,
DMA, or the order in which the detection routine finds the NICs.

    Later
    Mike

|Call-A.P.P.L.E. and the Digital Civilization http://www.callapple.org |
|   http://members.shaw.ca/pfaiffer = Mike Pfaiffer (B.A., B.Sc.)      |