[RndTbl] drive partitioning for Linux install

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Sun Oct 9 14:57:02 CDT 2005

>>The easiest way to get big drives working on even ancient computers is
>>get a PCI IDE card.  Many options are available in the $40-$60 range and
>>they almost all work with linux OOB.
>>
> I may end up doing that if I'm not sure my present IDE is working.  It
> will also cost me $40 - $70 to reflash my BIOS - unless the new card
> will be able to bypass it (don't know how it would do that while booting
> other OS's).

A new PCI IDE card has its own BIOS for the drives it controls and can
overcome any BIOS limitation.  That's why I said you could get a $40
card and use a 400GB drive in a P1 75MHz box!

Of course, that takes care of the drive size problem.  Other BIOS
problems like Y2K issues will need other solutions, but shouldn't be too
hard to overcome.  I've run FC on lots of boxes that were pre-Y2K, like
1994 P1's.