[RndTbl] drive partitioning for Linux install

Dan Martin ummar143 at cc.umanitoba.ca
Sun Oct 9 14:27:13 CDT 2005

Trevor Cordes wrote:

>On  4 Oct, Dan Martin wrote:
>

>>It turns out that my BIOS and ATA interface cannot handle HDs bigger
>>than 137 GB, so I am switching my new larger drives to another computer
>>and using its drives in the P3 - ie, lots of copying drives and partitions.
>>

>The easiest way to get big drives working on even ancient computers is
>get a PCI IDE card.  Many options are available in the $40-$60 range and
>they almost all work with linux OOB.

I may end up doing that if I'm not sure my present IDE is working.  It
will also cost me $40 - $70 to reflash my BIOS - unless the new card
will be able to bypass it (don't know how it would do that while booting
other OS's).

>As for SATA, I've had nothing but
>grief with cheap SATA cards and would recommend staying away from them,
>esp if you're using FC which seems to be the worst for SATA.

The RAID that FC couldn't read and insisted on reformatting used SATA
drives.  The damage is already done.

--
  -Dan

Dr. Dan Martin, MD, CCFP, BSc, BCSc (Hon)

GP Hospital Practitioner
Computer Science grad student
ummar143 at cc.umanitoba.ca
(204) 831-1746