[RndTbl] Update on SATA woes

Kevin McGregor kmcgregor at shaw.ca
Mon Nov 14 11:27:05 CST 2005

Why, yes! Yes, there is a reason! For example, when I boot the Fedora Core 4 disc, the install proceeds to the point where it says "Loading sata_sil driver...Diabling IRQ #11" (the last part in white text on black background, showing up after a few seconds), where it hangs. This happens to other recent distributions. On the behind-the-scenes screen (via Alt-F4) is a screen full of nasty messages including, but not limited to, "irq 11: nobody cared!".

So, I figured maybe a distribution somewhere between Red Hat 9 and FC4 might work. I've been trying. The latest fun is the Debian netinst CD image. Someone gave me a copy he burned some time ago, and I just downloaded my own copy and burned it, and both hang at exactly the same place with a md5sum error! I've tried 3 different CD-ROM drives and the two discs and it's weird that they both fail at the exact same spot.

Anyway, as I said in my previous message, I did get FC1 running (kernel 2.4.22), but while it *seemed* to work, when I ran md5sum on a directory of the mirrored SATA drives with a number of large files, I get non-reproducible results. I.e. different md5sums for the longer files on different runs. Eeek. That can't be good! I'm running out of options and patience.

If I can get Debian sarge running, I'll try that (kernel 2.4.27).

Yes, I've read the status reports, and I am depressed.