[RndTbl] eth0 doesn't work.... no matter what

Sean Walberg sean at ertw.com
Mon Nov 14 07:48:01 CST 2005

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005, Trevor Cordes wrote:

> Huh?  The switch shows no link?  That makes me think: bad cable, bad
> NIC.  Perhaps try a different PCI slot?  I wouldn't use the one directly
> next to the AGP or the last (bottom) one if you can help it.

Tried different cable.  Different PCI slots, different card (3c509b and
E100).  And if I play with my modules.conf to make a different card eth0,
whichever card is eth0 has the problem.

> What happens if eth0 is a different chipset card (ie: a different
> module)... try a RT8139 or similar -- they always work.

I don't have one handy.  The only card that's ever seemed to work at eth0
is that older 3COM one (not at home now, can't think of the model), but
even it had problems.  I've cycled through 5 ethernet cards (the old one,
two 3c905b's, and the two e100's) and whichever card is eth0 doesn't work.

Right now this doesn't cause a problem since I'm running off of eth1/eth2.
It's more that this is the strangest thing I've seen in 10 years of using
Linux, and I'm curious why it's doing it.

Sean

--
Sean Walberg <sean at ertw.com>                    http://ertw.com