[RndTbl] Intrusion detection

John Lange john.lange at open-it.ca
Thu May 12 15:20:24 CDT 2005

Thanks Sean.

Surprising how few tools there are for this purpose.

pam_tally is a start but not really the full solution I was expecting to
find.

The theory is simply that once you see suspicious activity of any kind
from an IP then there is a good chance that IP is going to scan for
other holes as well so you'd want to shut them down early.

Of course any automatic firewall based on attack signatures might then
be subject to denial of service because of IP spoofing so perhaps thats
why it isn't more common place.

--
John Lange
President OpenIT ltd. www.Open-IT.ca (204) 885 0872