[RndTbl] WRT54G Wireless Router firmware

Bill Reid billreid at shaw.ca
Thu May 12 15:02:14 CDT 2005

Stuart Williams wrote:
> As a late followup to the Linksys WRT54G firmware thread, here's a
> link on Seattle Wireless that gives an angle on the Sveasoft story
> that is, I think, more important than the legal GPL angle.  It's a
> story about open source community.  It gets interesting near the end
> of the large third paragraph - search for "Buzbee".
>
> http://www.seattlewireless.net/~mattw/index.cgi/seattlewireless/hacknight/20040723.html

Stuart, thanks for the link.  It does put another spin on it. Sveasoft's
development is obviously built on the work of Seattle Wireless.

My position is pretty close to Cringely's article(link at bottom of page).

I appreciate the work that Sveasoft is doing and even through I am not in love
with their business model I do not feel they are violating the GPL.

Generally people do have to make money so they either work on OSS part time,
receive support from companies, ask for donations or come up with schemes like
Sveasoft to fund the development.

-- Bill