[RndTbl] NetBSD on a Mac 8500

Mike Pfaiffer mpfaiffer at callapple.org
Wed May 11 12:30:59 CDT 2005

 Good presentation by Kevin last night BTW.

 Now for the question. I want to set up NetBSD on a Mac 8500 (PPC 603) with
accelerator card. I have two, two gigabyte harddrives. Some large amount of
RAM above what is required. I want to put NetBSD on the machine just to say I
have done it and to have it act as a low volume server (mostly so I can
experiment with the differences between BSD and Linux). The instructions I
found on the NetBSD page explain how to make a dual boot system. I'm not
interested in dual booting. I want this machine to boot only into NetBSD.
Before the meeting last night we were discussing how to install NetBSD on
this machine without the dual boot option. I thought it might be useful to
ask how this can be done simply. If this works, I may be able to pass along
this knowledge to three other people who are considering this for their older
Macs.

 Best start from step one. I haven't downloaded it yet.

    Later
    Mike

|Call-A.P.P.L.E. and the Digital Civilization http://www.callapple.org |
|   http://members.shaw.ca/pfaiffer = Mike Pfaiffer (B.A., B.Sc.)      |