[RndTbl] Re: 3D ASCII art

Gilbert E. Detillieux gedetil at cs.umanitoba.ca
Wed Apr 13 16:23:52 CDT 2005

According to Mike Pfaiffer:
>  A followup to the idea of how the brain interprets what it sees. After the
> meeting someone brought up the idea of 3D surds (sorry I can't remember your
> name). A surd is a random small thing. In this context, a series of random
> pixels used to produce a 3D image. The first use of surds I encountered was
> in a different context.

Actually, I think that's supposed to be SIRDS, an acronym for Single-Image
Random-Dot Stereogram.  (You leave the final S even in the singular form,
since it's part of the acronym.)

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/~etzpc/sirds.html

A Google search for "surd" brought up a few rather different definitions,
which I leave as an exercise for the sufficiently curious...  :)

>  I might submit ASCII line printer art might, to a small extent, fit in with
> the concept of 3D images. Mostly in terms of the illusion of depth and
> perspective rather than from the point of view of Gilberts presentation.
> Although oddly enough I saw an image intended for an inkjet printer with the
> red-cyan ink combined with ASCII art. I could be wrong, but I think there is
> a *NIX program which would produce this from older ASCII art.

While researching 3D imaging and stereoscopy a few months ago, I had
stumbled on some examples of 3D ASCII art, but these were either stereo
pairs or of the stereogram variety (like random-dot stereograms, but with
repeating patterns of ASCII characters).  I hadn't come across any ASCII art
anaglyphs yet.  Do you happen to remember where you had found that?

--
Gilbert E. Detillieux		E-mail:	<gedetil at cs.umanitoba.ca>
Dept. of Computer Science	Web:	http://www.cs.umanitoba.ca/~gedetil/