[RndTbl] Lock-up problem

Glen Ditchfield gjditchfield at acm.org
Thu Nov 4 20:44:19 CST 2004

The computer is a Dell D600, with an ATI Radeon Mobility 9000.  The OS is SuSE
9.1, updated religiously.  Today's installed RPMs include
kernel-default-2.6.5-7, XFree86-4.3.99, fglrx-3.12.0 (ATI's driver), and KDE
3.3.1.

Every now and then (sometimes once a day, sometimes once a month), the desktop
stops responding.  The cursor follows the mouse, but clicks and keypresses
are ignored -- even Ctl-Alt-Delete, Ctl-Alt-Backspace, and Ctl-Alt-F1.  This
usually happens when I'm scrolling BoingBoing.net (a long page) in Konqueror,
but I'm pretty sure that's not the only program that triggers the bug.

The machine can be pinged, and I can slogin from elsewhere.  When I do, I find
X consuming at least 99.8% of CPU.  Killing X causes a complete lock-up; it
won't answer pings, and I have to power-cycle the
computer.  /var/log/messages contains nothing between the slogin and the
restart.

I've had the problem with KDE 3.2 and 3.1, with fglrx 3.11 and 3.9, and with
XFree's default "radeon" driver.

Have you seen behavior like this?  Do you have any suggestions?