[RndTbl] Motherboard and hardware suggestions for servers?

John Lange john.lange at bighostbox.com
Tue May 4 13:18:21 CDT 2004

Hello all. I was hoping one of you server types would have a suggestion
for a motherboard that would be suitable for use in a server.

Up until now I've built all my machines (including servers) using
"off-the-shelf" hardware purchased from CBIT and it has worked great for
me. I've been doing it this way for a long time and I've never had any
significant problems.

Now I'm looking to build another box and I'm wondering what a good
choice of hardware would be.

This box will have at least 1G of RAM and I would like it to have 4 SATA
hard drives doing some kind of software RAID.

I'd _like_ dual processors but I'm not willing to quadruple the price of
the system just to get it which is also the reason why I've never
considered purchasing any of the ready made "server" systems from the
likes of Dell, Sun, or IBM. I just don't have the budget for it.

I'm really interested in opinions from other sever admins as to what you
use for your boxes.

Thanks.

--
John Lange