[RndTbl] hard drive failures

Ian Timshel itschaotic at yahoo.ca
Wed Mar 10 04:31:01 CST 2004

http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

There was some talk tonight about hard drive failures.  I couldn't
remember the name of the tool set I had used to solve some long
standing flakiness that came down to small errors beginning to show up
on some older drives.

I spent countless hours blaming one thing and another before finally
looking at the hardware.  I tossed four old drives after I learnt some
of my way around this software.  As a consequence the software I was so
frustrated with seems to magically have been transformed into
usefulness on the new drives..

Hope this helps someone out

Thanks Bill for a good presentation tonight.

Ian