[RndTbl] Alternative to Outlook?

John Lange john.lange at bighostbox.com
Thu Mar 4 09:30:20 CST 2004

I apologize for being a bit off topic here... But, I'm trying to setup a
new PC for my father's business.

Even though I use 100% linux desktops on all of my own PCs I decided to
install WindowsXP on his machine. He has one of those "all-in-one"
printer, scanner, fax units and also uses a software/voice-modem
combination as an answering machine, neither of which are workable under
linux.

That being said, I want to use StarOffice instead of OfficeXP. No
problem, it installs and works great!

But here is the question; for other people who have done this, what do
you use as a replacement for Outlook's Calendar/Scheduler functions?

I can use any one of Outlook Express, Mozilla Mail, Eudora for email but
none of them have a Calendar (am I missing something?).

I thought of just buying Outlook2003 but it's $110.00US (according to
the MS web site) !!! OfficeXP Standard edition (which includes Outlook)
is $530.00! (at Staples)

Its really too bad there isn't a version of Evolution for Windows
because it would be perfect.

I'm not interested in over-kill either (Act, Lotus Notes etc). Just a
Calendar. If it also works as an email solution that's fine but I don't
need it to wash dishes and vacuum the carpet.

It does NOT have to be free software. I'm willing to pay for the right
solution.

Suggestions anyone?

--
John Lange