[RndTbl] up2date and yum updates for CORE 2

Mel Seder melseder at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 10 10:46:40 CDT 2004

I went to our site http://www.muug.mb.ca/fedora-updates.html and read it and
then downloaded the two patch files.  I read about the patch command in
"Running Linux" published by O'Reilly as well as running and reading "info
patch".

As I recall,  for CORE 1 I just went in and edited sources (maybe yum.conf
also) by hand because I didn't realize that what the gobbly gook in the patch
file did or that I even needed the patch command.

I generated a patch file to update a phone list text file just to see how patch
worked and it worked how I expected.  I did not understand everything in
"Running Linux" or "info patch" but the following is what I think I should do.

both patch files are in ~

I issue "su" from ~ for root access

#patch < rhn-sources-fc2.patch
#patch < yum.conf-fc2.patch

Am I missing something or should the above work?

What I think I will do,  just cause I'm chicken, is run the following before
the actual/live patches;

#patch --dry-run < rhn-sources-fc2.patch > sources.dryrun
#patch --dry-run < yum.conf.fc2.patch > yum.dryrun

I'm mostly concerned about the patch commands.  Should they work or are other
parameters needed?

Can anyone see any problems or make any suggestions?

=====
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him
absolutely no good. -Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)