[RndTbl] Tip in the newsletter (fedora updates)

Sean A. Walberg sean at ertw.com
Sun Feb 8 08:17:53 CST 2004

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004, Gilbert E. Detillieux wrote:

> Of course, if our mirror gets bogged down from overuse, you may want to
> point to a different mirror.  Fortunately, there are a few others right in
> Canada now...

I just tried it out last night, and it worked great.  Reading a bit in the
manual, though, you can put a list of mirror sites in, and they will be
tried sequentially:

ie

baseurl=http://site1/path
	http://site2/path

http://www.phy.duke.edu/~rgb/General/yum_HOWTO/yum_HOWTO/yum_HOWTO-10.html#ss10.1

So, it might be best to leave the original mirror site in as a backup, or
pick another server.

Another curiousity... The CDs I had on hand were for Fedora Core Test 3,
so I installed it anyway.  Edited yum.conf to point to the MUUG site, but
the core 1 base and updates.  "yum update", and I had myself a Core 1 box
at the end of it!  Not sure if I'm brave enough to try the same starting
at RH 9. :)

Sean

--
Sean A. Walberg <sean at ertw.com>                    http://www.ertw.com