[RndTbl] Nvidia video card drivers & DVD

Dan & Michele ve4drk at mts.net
Wed Apr 21 17:24:45 CDT 2004

Although I don't necessarily agree with having to patch the kernels with
libraries or object files (source is much preferred, but sometimes you
have no choice) ... there is generally nothing wrong with building your
own kernels ... once you do it a couple of times, it's old hat ... while
i was working on some usb video drivers a while back, I'd be compiling a
kernel every day .. at that point, it's a lot easier though as very
little has changed elsewhere in the src tree.  As for using redhat
kernels .. well ... it all depends on what your purpose is .. if  you're
not that too sure about it, then maybe stick with what they have
provided for you -- probably safer that way.
For watching videos (dvd, mpeg, etc) on your linux box .. I'd use
mplayer .. quite good.

Dan.