[RndTbl] burning a DVD with xcdroast

Mike Pfaiffer mike at digitalcivilization.ca
Fri Apr 9 02:39:33 CDT 2004

On April 8, 2004 10:06 pm, Mel Seder wrote:
> I am reading through documentation I found in
>
> http://www.xcdroast.org/manual/dvd.html
>
> It says
> ==11111===============================================================
>  Make sure you have a kernel version 2.4.x or higher. (you can test
> this with the command uname -a). Next, download the appropiate binary
> of cdrecord-ProDVD for your system from:
>
> ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/ProDVD
>
> For current linux distributions this would be the binary that ends in
> -i586-pc-linux-gnu, e.g. cdrecord-prodvd-2.01a12-i586-pc-linux-gnu
>
> What you downloaded is a binary, that means, it can directly be used.
> So, copy it to the xcdroast-bin directory (mostly
> /usr/lib/xcdroast-0.98/bin or /usr/local/lib/xcdroast-0.98/bin). Name
> it "cdrecord.prodvd". (I spent 2 hours of error tracking because I
> renamed it to "cdrecord-prodvd", what is wrong!) Call chmod 755
> cdrecord.prodvd to make it executable.

	Hey Mel...

	Here is an article I wrote for Call-A.P.P.L.E.

DVD burning under Linux

	Well strictly speaking it is a single application under Linux. For now I'll
be talking about a data DVD.

	Actually a couple of months ago I would never thought I'd be writing about
this subject. Chris (my business partner in Digital Civilization) dropped off
a DVD burner. It seems we may have some potential clients who want us to
transcribe some home movies for them. Chris already has a video input card
and since I have the faster computer (and a decent graphics output) she
decided my machine was to be the one where the editing was to take place.

	Between the two of us, neither has had any experience with DVD burners. CD
burners and DVD readers are no problem. In fact the DVD burner had the reader
part configured automatically. Nothing easier. Linux said “I recognise this.
I'll set it up right away.”. Nothing to install. Just run MPlayer and let it
play a DVD. As one friend is fond of saying... Mickey Duck!

	The program we are used to running is called xcdroast. It is a front end for
the command line cdrecord and mkisofs programs. After doing a bit of research
I found there is an alternative program called k3b. I'll take a look at it as
I get the time. As an aside, it is a good idea to go and grab the latest
version of xcdroast from http://www.xcdroast.org because many of the
distributions tend to include cut down versions.

	It turns out there are modules for DVD creation in xcdroast. Unfortunately
there is a particular driver and key code which need to be installed. Again,
after research I found it is a relatively simple and painless process. To
tell the truth I goofed the first time I installed the driver. I downloaded
an earlier version and forgot to change the permissions to something
appropriate.

	After a bit more digging I came across the following page (picture me
smacking my forehead and uttering an exasperated “D'Oh!”).

http://www.xcdroast.org/xcdr098/README.ProDVD.txt

	This page gives the directions necessary to install DVD burning support in to
xcdroast. The long and short of it is to go here...

ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/ProDVD/

	To download the correct version of the driver for the computer. Then put it
into the correct directory. As they say... (e.g. /usr/lib/xcdroast-0.98/bin
or /usr/local/lib/xcdroast-0.98/bin)

	Then rename the file to "cdrecord.prodvd". Then set the file permission with
chmod to 755. This will allow the root account to put in the key (which
expires in February 2004). The key can be found at...

ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/ProDVD/README

	The directions given by the ProDVD folks are not appropriate to xcdroast. Use
the directions found on the xcdroast site.

	These directions allowed me to set up and create a data DVD. Since the whole
point of getting a DVD burner and a video input card was to transcribe some
home movies this is one way to do it. The next step is to see if we can get
it to work in a console DVD device.

Mike Pfaiffer

|  Digital Civilization magazine: http://www.digitalcivilization.ca    |
|Call-A.P.P.L.E. and the Digital Civilization http://www.callapple.org |