[RndTbl] Software Patents

John Lange john.lange at bighostbox.com
Tue Sep 23 19:58:47 CDT 2003

I'm new to MUUG so I hope this isn't out of line for the mailing list...

As I'm sure most of you are aware, there has been a lot of activity
recently in the European Union regarding software patents.

Understandably, many OpenSource advocates were mortified that the EU was
considering passing a bill which many perceived as opening the door to
software patents similar to the system currently in place in the US.

While I was thinking how grateful I am that I live in country without
absurd software patent laws I suddenly had a horrifying thought...
Exactly what is the state of software patents in Canada?

I have heard rumours the US is strong-arming other nations into adopting
legislation similar to the DMCA so can software patents be far behind?

If there was a change to patent legislation in the works to allow
software patents in Canada, would we be able to get organized enough to
make our views known to legislators as they have done in the EU?

On the other hand, should we be waiting until legislation is already on
the table, or is there something pro-active we can do?

--
John Lange
BigHostBox.com ltd