[RndTbl] water clock

millward millward at Ms.UManitoba.CA
Wed Nov 19 13:38:16 CST 2003

I was wondering if anyone out there might
be able to tell me how these water clocks work.
All you do is fill it up with mildly salty water,
and that's what it runs on. The one I've got
has been keeping good time for about 5-6 days
now. Once in a while a little bubble comes up, so
it must be producing some kind of waste gas.
I'd like to build my own circut based on whatever
devices run this clock, just for fun. Would anyone
know what kind of electronics run on water?
And where I could get them?
I didn't buy my clock through the net, but it's selling
at:
  http://www.computergear.com/waterclock.html
All the site says about how it runs is:
"The fuel cell extracts electrons from the electrolyte
forming a steady stream of electrical current that
drives the clock."
    That's all very well, but it doesn't tell me
what the name of the fuel cell is, where I can
get them, and how I can build a curcit based
on the fuel cell's power.