[RndTbl] ntp log file rotation

Brock Wolfe obwolfe at shaw.ca
Tue Sep 17 17:02:06 CDT 2002

I just configured ntp on a few RH linux hosts and everything appears to be working.  To complete the installation I want to rotate the ntp logfile /var/log/ntp.  I have looked at a few references and there seems to be disagreement on the best approach:

ALTERNATIVE #1: use logrotate with file in /etc/logrotate.d (see code snip below)
ALTERNATIVE #2: use ntp.conf "monitor" command "filegen"

Are there any suggestions for ntp log file rotations ?

FILE: /etc/ntp.conf
logfile /var/log/ntp

-------
[EOF]

FILE: /etc/logrotate.d/ntp
/var/log/ntp {
    daily
    rotate 7
    notifempty
    # ntpd doesn't handle SIGHUP properly
    copytruncate
}
[EOF]

Brock Wolfe
"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting
  otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem."
- Theodore Rubin