[RndTbl] CLUE announcement

bill traynor btraynor at linux.ca
Mon Sep 2 10:15:13 CDT 2002

See http://www.linux.ca for the News item regarding this email or to
read the online version, goto http://linux.ca/library/01092002.shtml

=========

In co-operation with the Canadian Linux User's Exchange existing
executive, I have carefully considered all the comments made to the
admin at linux.ca mailing list over the last month, engaged in countless
personal conversations and hours of research, and am proposing what I
believe to be the best approach to a CLUE restructure and rebirth.  Here
are the results of this work:

1.  Revision of By-Laws

Please see http://www.linux.ca/library/bylaws.shtml for the complete
By-Laws document.  I've highlighted a few changes here:

"Purpose"

The goal of the Canadian Linux Users' Exchange is to increase the use
and appreciation in Canada of what is known as the Linux computer
operating system and Open Source Software, by enhancing association and
communication amongst its developers, users, suppliers, and the general
public.

[NOTE: The purpose of CLUE was left more or less the same as it was
originally conceived.  The only addition being the inclusion of Open
Source Software to the Purpose statement.}

"Membership"

Members of the foundation shall be the respective applicants for the
incorporation of the foundation until their resignations have been
accepted, and such other qualified persons as shall be elected as
members from time to time by a majority of the votes cast by the members
present or represented by proxy at any duly constituted meeting of the
members

[NOTE:  The membership section has been completely revised. Please be
aware that the "official" members of CLUE as described in the by-laws
are simply the executive.  The by-laws no longer describe a formal
membership, either individual or associate.  This revision is based on
the adoption of the "Foundation" model of operation.  The "Foundation"
model provides the most open method of organizing CLUE, allowing us to
operate in the most flexible manner possible].

"Board of Directors"

The property and business of the Corporation shall be managed by a board
of ten directors of whom six shall constitute a quorum. This board shall
consist of the Corporation's officers, which are to comprise:

- A President
- A Treasurer
- A Secretary

In addition to said officers, the Board will comprise seven "at-large"
directors.

[NOTE: We've eliminated the formal roles of 1st VP, 2nd VP, and
Immediate past President from the By-Laws.  This does not mean that
these roles will never exist, it just means that legally, CLUE as an
organization does not need them to function. As legally required, the
only positions required are those that have been described here].

[NOTE THAT FOR ADDITIONAL BY-LAW REVISIONS, PLEASE SEE THE OFFICIAL
BY-LAWS DOCUMENT AT: http://www.linux.ca/library/bylaws.shtml]

2.  CLUE's Purpose

the following 7 areas have been identified as having the highest
priority for the CLUE community.  PLEASE BE AWARE THAT EACH PRIORITY IS
LOOSELY DEFINED HERE!  A CLUE Director will be expected to take
responsibility for at least one priority, whether it is one that is
listed here or one that they propose.

[NOTE: The following list is in NO particular order.  Also, the
following is a list of 'obvious' needs.  Everyone is welcome to propose
additional priorities that they may wish to pursue when they apply for a
Director position -see #3 below.]

P1. Public Relations/Media relations

Includes publication of press releases, marketing communications
material, public speaking etc.

P2. LUG Relations

Includes maintaining contact with all Canadian LUGs.  Will include
definition and coordination of LUG benefit packages.

P3. Linux.ca Domain utilization

Includes webmaster responsibility for the linux.ca domain.  Will include
redesign of the website to better accomplish CLUE's goals.

P4. Fund Raising

Includes promotion of the Foundation funding model, i.e. The "buy a
brick in our new building" model.  Basically, anyone, individual or
corporate can donate to CLUE and receive a designated sponsor-level.
Details of this model will also be the responsibility of whomever takes
on this job.

P5. Benefits/SWAG etc.

Includes identification or CLUE benefits, i.e. Magazine discounts, free
CD's, T-Shirts, etc.

P6. Business Development/Corporate Liaison

Includes solicitation, development and maintenance of CLUE's corporate
and affiliate relationships.  This may include association with other
non-profits, such as the Linux Professional Institute, Linux
International, IEEE, etc.

P7. Advocacy/Research

Includes the creation of CLUE's advocacy program and identification of
research avenues and how CLUE can leverage them.  For example, the
surveying of CLUE membership on a regular basis in order to provide
information to those that would find that information of value.

[NOTE:  Some of the latter may be official positions/titles, ex.
Director of Business Development.  Others will not, ex. Benefits/SWAG.]

3.  Executive Roles

NOTE: APPLICATIONS ARE NOW BEING ACCEPTED FOR ALL EXECUTIVE ROLES
INCLUDING ALL 7 REGIONAL DIRECTORS!

The by-laws allow for 3 formal roles, President, Secretary and Treasurer
and 7 Director roles which must be filled for the organization to
legally function.

How are we going to fill these roles?

I'd like to at this time put out a CALL FOR APPLICATIONS for CLUE
executives. Here's how this works:

Information should include: Name, E-mail, Position sought, Bio, Desired
Area(s) of Responsibility, Supporting Comments.

Additionally, you may include:

In two pages or less what role you'd like to fill and what you plan to
accomplish while in that role.  NOTE:  The responsibilities for each
role are open for you to define.

For example, let's say I  feel that I'm a very organized, detailed
person who likes documentation and communicating with other Linux/OSS
enthusiasts outside of my current LUG.  In this case, I may offer to
fulfill the Secretaries role and include the LUG Relations priority
within that role.  In my application, I'd describe how I intend to
satisfy the organizations LUG Relations Priority, such as a Newsletter,
etc. and provide examples (if available) of anything that makes me
particularly capable of fulfilling the desired role.

Please feel free to define your own role!  If you do not feel
comfortable in a role that already exists, propose a new role in your
application.

PLEASE FORWARD ALL APPLICATIONS TO:

mailto:btraynor at linux.ca

DO NOT POST YOUR APPLICATIONS TO THE MAILING LIST PLEASE!.

First call for Submission of applications will conclude on Sunday,
September 15th and announcement of the new CLUE executive will follow
shortly thereafter.  All applications will be considered by the current
CLUE executive and myself.  Any current CLUE executive who wishes to
submit an application for a role, will have to submit in the same manner
as everyone else and will not be included in the review of applications
of the role they applied for.

Thanks,
Bill Traynor