[RndTbl] Router Config Confuses me

Bill Reid billreid at shaw.ca
Mon Oct 14 22:55:36 CDT 2002

Mel Seder wrote:
> D-Link DI-701
> I have three open ports that I added using the vserv command of my
> router's software.
>
> I can use all the other main ports ie 80, 25 and various IM programs
> and I never had to go in and add these ports to the open list.
>
> The show command doesn't show ports 80 or 25 as being open.  How do
> some programs have the ability to use these ports without them being in
> the allowed list and others such as ftp (20 & 21) need to be added with
> the vserv command?
>

> =====
> MelSeder at yahoo.com

The router is only redirecting server ports. You are using port 80, 25,
etc as a client not a server so there is no need to tell the router
anything. It allows all connections to the outside and only block
initial connections coming in.

-- Bill

Bill Reid                      Page    993 Dorchester Ave.
Network Consultant, Retired  935-1432  Winnipeg, MB  R3M 0P9
University of Manitoba                 (204) 452-6590