[RndTbl] Thanks! and kudzu?

Gilles Detillieux grdetil at scrc.umanitoba.ca
Tue May 14 09:21:39 CDT 2002

According to Gilbert E. Detillieux:
> According to millward:
> >   What's  kudzu ?  I've read the   man mount but there's
> > no kudzu there.  What does it do?
>
> It's a utility that runs at system startup to check your hardware
> configuration, and allow you to setup/configure any new or changed hardware.
>
> If your system will be stable after you've set it up, you can always disable
> it as a startup service to speed things up a bit...
>
> chkconfig kudzu off
>
> However, I like to leave it on, so it catches any hardware changes I made,
> or anything that may "mysteriously" have changed.

This still doesn't explain what "kudzu" means as an option in /etc/fstab.
It's not documented in fstab(5) or kudzu(8) either.  A quick Google search
for "etc fstab kudzu" did turn up this page, though:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.1-Manual/release-notes/s1-system.html

It seems it's for the automatic management of removable media.

--
Gilles R. Detillieux              E-mail: <grdetil at scrc.umanitoba.ca>
Spinal Cord Research Centre       WWW:    http://www.scrc.umanitoba.ca/