[RndTbl] Huge audio .wav files in Red Hat

Kevin McGregor kmcgregor at shaw.ca
Mon May 13 09:57:42 CDT 2002

Hey millward,

It depends on which filesystem type you have (ext2, ext3, reiserfs, jfs,
xfs, ...). For detailed information, see:
http://kerneltrap.org/node.php?id=186
http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au/~peterc/lfs.html
http://www.suse.de/~aj/linux_lfs.html

What it boils down to is "really big". You didn't say what size the
audio tape was or whether you're recording in stereo/mono, 8-bit or
16-bit samples, or the sampling frequency, but even a 120-minute tape
(60 minutes per side) sampled in 16-bit stereo at 44,100 Hz gives you
635,000,000 bytes per hour. See standard CD capacities for reference.

So if each of your files is one side of a 120 minute tape (or smaller)
you have nothing to worry about. Even if you record all of your tapes,
both sides, back-to-back without stopping the recording when you switch,
you likely won't have a problem, except for running out of disk space!
Mind you, breaking it up to put it on CDs would be a hassle if you did that.

Go nuts.