[RndTbl] cdrecord dev

Gilles Detillieux grdetil at scrc.umanitoba.ca
Fri May 10 11:29:09 CDT 2002

According to millward, a.k.a. author, a.k.a. Arthur:
> Thanks for the information on SCSI emulation in Red Hat.
> It's good to know I don't have to do anything about that.

Well, support for SCSI emulation is automatic when you install Red Hat 7.x,
but for older 6.2 systems you still have to manually set some things up.
What I'd do on my 6.2 systems is add the following to the end of
/etc/rc.d/rc.local:

# Support for CD-RW drive...
/sbin/modprobe ide-scsi
/sbin/modprobe sg

Then I'd add "alias scsi_hostadapter0 ide-scsi" to /etc/conf.modules
(or /etc/modules.conf if you install the kernel updates), and add

	append="hdc=ide-scsi"

to /etc/lilo.conf's stanza for linux.  Oddly enough, it didn't seem to
matter whether or not I did the mkinitrd and installed the initrd line
in lilo.conf, so I never bothered with that

>  I've read the CD-writter Howto and the man cdrecord,
> but I can't figure out what to enter for the 'dev' argument
> for cdrecord.  The example shows   dev=0,6,0
>  But that's for a SCSI device and mine is ATAPI.
> My burner is   /dev/hdc  in fstab
> In the BIOS its  a   secondary master.
> In windoze its  E for the cdrom part and
>                      F for the burner

Interesting.  Is this two separate drives (a CD-ROM and a CD-RW), or is
it one drive appearing as two devices under Windows?  If it's the latter,
I don't think I've ever seen that before.  If the former, then it may be
that Linux will map both drives to SCSI devices, so the CD-ROM drive may
come first, making the CD-RW drive dev=0,1,0.  Otherwise, the CD-RW would
almost certainly be dev=0,0,0.  As Kevin suggested, "cdrecord -scanbus"
will sort things out, once you've got the ide-scsi driver loaded.

You'll need to change the /dev/hdc device name in /etc/fstab to /dev/scd0
(or maybe /dev/scd1 for 0,1,0), because the old IDE devices can't be
accessed directly once mapped to SCSI.  Similarly, you'll likely also want
to change the /dev/cdrom symlink.

> I'm trying to copy some old tape songs into a CD.
> The program rec and the Gnome mixer are
> excellent for getting the songs into .wav files.
> All I need to do now is get cdrecord going.
>  cdrecord -v speed=4 -pad -audio dev=?,?,?
>       Any ideas about dev ?
> Oh, you'll notice I'm using my new, id.
> For some reason, somebody didn't like 'author'

Anyone know of any decent, free, click and pop filters for .wav files?
(Linux or Win98 OK.)

--
Gilles R. Detillieux              E-mail: <grdetil at scrc.umanitoba.ca>
Spinal Cord Research Centre       WWW:    http://www.scrc.umanitoba.ca/