[RndTbl] lost SCSI emulation - burner no work

Mike Pfaiffer mike at digitalcivilization.ca
Sun Jul 7 14:44:29 CDT 2002

millward wrote:
> I upgraded from Red Hat 7.2 to 7.3 and lost my SCSI emulation,
> so now cdrecord -scanbus can't find any SCSI devices and
> I can't use my burner.
> fstab has not changed from 7.2
> /etc/rc.d/rc.local  has
>     /sbin/modprobe ide-scsi
>    /sbin/modprobe sg
> I've looked, and there is no  ide-scsi in sbin
>   In /etc/modules.conf  I've got
>       append="hdc=ide-scsi"
> I've done
>     chmod 666 /dev/scd0
>     chmod 666 /dev/scd1  ( This is just a home machine so
>                                       don't have to worry about security)
> The burner is the secondary master in the BIOS so hdc looks OK.
>      Does this mean I'll have to do a dreaded "kernel compilation"?
> I've installed the 2.4.18-3 kernel source in /usr/src/ just in case,
> but I'm not excited about compiling kernels.
>    Is there anything else I can do to get back my scsi emulation
> without compiling the kernel ?

	I've found it saves a lot of time and trouble to do a fresh install
rather than an upgrade. Since the system stuff and the /home directory
are on separate partitions this is a lot less painful than it could be.
There is also the additional benefits of cleaning up some cache and log
files.

	The other thing is to check your lilo.conf for something like the line below.

         append="hdc=ide-scsi"

				Later
				Mike

|  Digital Civilization magazine: http://www.digitalcivilization.ca    |
|   http://members.shaw.ca/pfaiffer = Mike Pfaiffer (B.A., B.Sc.)      |
| See my web page before you think about spamming me. I charge cash.   |