[RndTbl] Lost prompt help

Daryl F wyatt at escape.ca
Mon Jan 14 21:16:35 CST 2002

On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Raymond J. Henry wrote:

> RedHat 7.1. On boot up, it hangs starting ipchains firewall settings. If I do an interactive startup, I can bypass all my network stuff and xfont server. This lets me into the system. However, I will sonner or later lose my prompt, and be able to do nothing.
>
> I can find no documenation anywhere on this type of problem, and 3 individuals who I've talked to about this are stumped.
>
> Any ideas? Feel free to call me voice at 888-0452.

Does the system truly hang or just your console? Can you ping it or telnet
into it from somewhere else? If you find nothing in the system logs at all
I would suspect you have a hardware problem. Likely bad memory somewhere.

Can you move the drive to another, known good, machine and test it?

Just some ideas. HTH.

Regards,
Daryl