[RndTbl] mouse failure on bootup

Daryl F wyatt at escape.ca
Thu Jan 3 22:17:55 CST 2002

On Thu, 3 Jan 2002, S/C Conway wrote:

> G'Day,
>     I turned gpm off in an attempt to eliminate possible variables.
>
>     Enclosed is the mouse configs from:
>
> XF86Config-4
>  Identifier  "Mouse0"
>         Driver      "mouse"
>         Option      "Device" "/dev/mouse"
>         Option      "Protocol" "Microsoft"
>         Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "on"
>         Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
>
> XF86Config
>     Protocol    "Microsoft"
>     Device      "/dev/mouse"
>
>     Attached is a tarball of the Xfree log files.
> XFree86.0.log is the log when the mouse is working
> XFree86.0.log.bak is the log when the mouse is not working
> XFree86.0.log.diff is the difference between the two.
>
> sean
>
> Daryl F wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 31 Dec 2001, S/C Conway wrote:
> >
> > > G'Day,
> > >
> > > Configuration:
> > > RedHat 7.2
> > > Kernel 2.4.9-13
> > > Xconfigurator-4.9.39-1
> > > mouseconfig-4.23-1
> > > microsoft serial mouse com1

> > >     In order to enable the mouse in either KDE or Gnome mouseconfig and
> > > Xconfigurator where used after a workstation installation of RedHat 7.2.
> > > Everything functions normally. When the system is rebooted,
> > > Xconfigurator must be run in order to enable the mouse.
> > >     This same problem existed with RedHat 7.1 installation.
> > >     I am open to suggestions.
> > >
> > > Sean

> > This brings up some questions. Does the mouse function in a virtual
> > terminal? If you come up under X-windows (runlevel 5) try Ctl-Alt-F2 and
> > see if the mouse is working, ie; gpm is up and running.
> >
> > Does the device in the Section "InputDevice" portion of
> > /etc/X11/XF86Config (-4) exist? This might give a hint whether
> > Xconfigurator is working correctly.
> >
> > Anybody else got any ideas?
> >
> > Might help if you post /var/log/XFree86.0.log so we can check it for
> > errors/omissions.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Daryl

Hmm, something's not right here. The log you said the mouse is not working
in shows a fatal server error because it can't find your font server. So I
guess the mouse wouldn't be working :)

Question is why does the font server disappear? I am not sure what is
different in the way you're starting the Xserver between the two ways. It
sounds like one way the font server is not getting started.

I don't use the font server. From what I've read it is only useful if
multiple Xwindows servers are going to connect to your box AND they happen
to be using the same fonts. I use the FontPath statements instead.

Also, regarding the config: do you have wheel mouse? If not I think the
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
is, IIRC, not needed.

Regards,
Daryl