[RndTbl] Problem burning cd using cdrtoaster-1.12:

S/C Conway seconway at mts.net
Thu Jan 3 18:22:58 CST 2002

Hardware:
Sony CRX140S CD ReWritable Recorder

Software
RH 7.2 kernel 2.4.9-13
sox-12.17.1-4
cdrecord-1.10-4
cdrecord-devel-1.10-4

 Using cdrtoaster-1.12 to burn an MP3 to an audio cd results in never
recorded before "chipmunks" coaster. The audio sounds like a 33rpm
record played at 45rpm. This may be a bad analogy for the CD exposed
generation.
 Analyzing the script from cdrtoaster the creation of a CD takes place
in two steps. One step converts the mp3 to wav the next step burns the
cd.

Audio convert:
mpg123 -s sample1.mp3|sox -t raw -w -s -c 2 -r 44100 - -t wav
sample1.wav

CD burn:
cdrecord -v -eject dev=/dev/sg0 speed=4 -audio -pad
/home/username/sample1.wav

 I have tried doing the audio convert manually an it produces a
chipmunks wav file. If I change the rate parameter to -r 22050 the wav
file is produced correctly. The new file is not in the correct format
for cdrecord to handle and produces an error message "Inappropiate audio
coding". According to my reading a wav file must be created with 16bit
44100hz sample rate.
 I have also tried changing the mp3 player to the GPL version
mpg321-0.1.5-1 with no success.
 I have found no indication at the SOX site of any problems with the
software.

 This is my first foray into CD burning using Linux. The burner works
fine under windows95 and its software. I have made a decision to
eliminate as many windows machines as I can. My project is the
burner/scanner box.

Sean