[RndTbl] Print Systems

Scott Balneaves sbalneav at legalaid.mb.ca
Fri Aug 30 07:39:15 CDT 2002

On Thu, 29 Aug 2002, Mel Seder wrote:

> I'm using Red Hat 7.3 and KDE with a Epson C80 printer
>
> When I print I get a gui window on the screen and one of the sections
> called print systems asks me if I want to use one of the following;
>
> CUPS
> Print through an external program (generic)
> Generic UNIX LPD print system (default)
> LPR/LPRng Print System
> RLPR environment (Remote LPD server)

CUPS is the new Common Unix Printing System.  It's quite good.

It's at www.cups.org.

> What are all these things?

Printing methods.

> Is there a preferred one?

If you're just printing locally, prolly any one will do.

> Where can I read up on "Linux Print Systems"?

How about at the Linux Documentation Project?

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Printing-HOWTO/index.html

Scott

--
Scott L. Balneaves      | "The mark of an immature man is that he wants
Unix Administrator      |  to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a