[*] StarStar Me: Using your name as your phone number

John Lange john at johnlange.ca
Mon Jan 28 12:42:07 CST 2013

With Lync, you install Edge services which by default allows you to both
remotely access the system (no VPN or anything extra required) and to
federate with other organizations.

When you call direct between two federated Lync organizations it uses some
flavour of SIP TLS over TCP. I've never heard of anyone trying to get that
working with anything other than Lync but in theory it should be possible
without much work. Lync to Cisco gateways via SIP trunking works fine so
the protocol can't be all that customized/broken.

Sometime in the half of 2013 there is supposed to be complete Lync-to-Skype
federation (audio only).

Also, Lync has always had an integrated XMPP gateway capability which
allows Instant messaging between Lync and Google Talk, MSN etc. You would
think they could easily build on that to add voice and video capability?

John

John Lange
www.johnlange.ca