[*] StarStar Me: Using your name as your phone number

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Fri Jan 25 16:41:46 CST 2013

> Funny thing the biggest problem with our project was getting it to
> work with the UofM's PBX via PRI (we weren't getting the dialed
> number).

[Note: I'm going from memory here, about stuff I knew about 15 years ago, and some of it was hearsay even at the time: don't quote me!]

That would be because the UofM was running a Meridian Option 81 upgrade on an old SL-1 frame, not an 81C.  The old '81 never really understood ISDN the same way the rest of the universe did; it (IIRC) was incapable of handling NI-1 modes, and it was particularly bad at running point-to-point trunks in any configuration other than as the main inbound/outbound trunk from a DMS-100 or a DMS-1.  The C ("compact") variants modernized the ISDN support, from what I remember.  I don't think they upgraded to an 81C until the late 2000s.

If you were running channelized T1 instead, you'd have had similar problems because the T1 cards could only do ANI/CLI or DNIS, not both.  (In fact, even a DMS-100 couldn't do both ANI and DNIS simultaneously on a T1 without designating the line a "911 trunk", which then ignored all privacy settings!  PRIs worked as expected, assuming the switch and your CPE had a matching ISDN profile.)

-Adam Thompson
 athompso at athompso.net